Friday, May 1, 2015

FINAL BLOG POSTING. ta-dah.

Write one last blog post answering the following questions: 
  • Which in class writing was your favorite? Why?
  • Which in class writing was your least favorite? Why?
  • Review all your writing chronologically (earliest to latest). List three interesting observations or changes in your writing. Which are the most profound (obvious and important)? Why?
  • If you could change anything about your writing this semester what would it be? Why?
  • What did you like best about this course?
  • What did you like least about this course?
  • What would you have done differently this semester if you could have a do-over?
  • What did learn about yourself as a student, a thinker, a writer this semester?
  • What could I, Ms. A., have done differently to improve the course?
  • You begin this course with an engagement and participation score of an A.  Attendance, participation in activities and group work help you to maintain this grade.  Evaluate yourself and assign yourself a grade for the in class portion of this course.  Don’t forget the reasoning behind your self assigned grade.

Looking back at all of my free write, my favorite one was about the first time my 2 year old took a dump on the toilet. The memory is my favorite, which makes the writing better (and longer) and is my favorite post.

My least favorite had to be the first day we did free writing. The reasoning behind this is because I was so frustrated. I wanted more time to prepare. I am a little OCD, and I believe in the mantra "Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance." It has been ingrained in me since I was a child, and I don't like things being sprung on me.

The most profound interesting observation is that my writing gets more and more sarcastic. I think that this is the only real observation, as a lot of it is me just BS'ing. I guess you could say my grammar gets better, but then again I think that is just the sarcasm. All of my writing is in a very sarcastic tone. I think this is because I find humor in writing on certain topics, and this most of the people in this class are..... not very creative writers. ;)

I would NOT change anything about my writing this semester. Period. It's fantastic, beautiful, poetic work that should be published and regarded as works of art for centuries. 

The best thing I liked about this course was sitting next to Thomas. He's my new best bed and I just learned he speaks French, Deutsche, and understands German. I wish him well on his European travels with his girlfriend this summer.

The only thing I would have done differently this semester is cared more. I just don't think it was very easy to care because there wasn't much to care about. Besides myself. And my beautiful, creative, artistic brain.

The thing I liked least about this course was the fact that I was not prepared for certain aspects of the class. I expected more, I expected to learn. More so than I did.

If I could have a do-over this semester I would have done the This I Believe essay so I'm not failing the class.

As a student, thinker, and a writer, I learned that I really want to pursue writing of some kind. I think I'm hilarious, witty, creative, and smarter than the average bear. I'm actually smarter than a couple really smart bears. I'm also a lot funnier when I write than when I talk. I can also talk, type, and think REALLY fast. 
BOOM.

Ms. A, to improve this course I would recommend LESS free writing, and more.... I don't know the correct phrasing... Curriculum based learning? Facts? Structural instruction? I don't feel like I learned anything besides how to free write for 10 minutes at a time and how to crack jokes. I'm scared to take the next step in English, learning wise, because I expected more from this class. Although you are freaking awesome. Seriously. It's weird. You're super cool.

I think I deserve a B. The only reason I don't say A is because I missed quite a few classes. If it weren't for that, I think I'm the most creative writer in this class. My participation is always GREATLY appreciated, and my group always thinks my stuff is awesome. In fact, multiple times my ideas have been considered the best. For this reason, I think I deserve AT LEAST a B. If you want to pretend I was always here, I deserve an A because I'm a genius.


Toodles.

Coltney 

1 comment:

  1. Coltney - Nice reflection. Thank you for your feedback. I often hear that students did not make connections between the objectives met in class - with thinking and writing assignments, and the type of learning we do. I love the feedback and will be more explicit in the future. Feel free to contact me for help for future assignments. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete